Whole Grains has been regarded as important part of healthy diet.They are rich in essential nutrients.Some of the health benefits are:
- Highly nutritious as they are rich in fiber, B-vitamins, antioxidants and contain required plant compounds.
- Regulates Digestive Health- Because of the Fiber component they play an excellent role by moving slowly to the digestive tract and enhancing several health benefits.
- Weight loss- Whole grains help in weight loss journey because of the source of fiber ,they keep you full between meals and decrease hunger and cravings.
- Nurture heart Health- Including whole grains in your diet protects heart diseases and stroke .
- Protects against Cancer- Properties like dietary fiber, antioxidants, phytochemicals and certain compounds like gallic acids, ferulic acids and vitamin C are helpful in fighting free radical damages and decreasing oxidative stress.
- Fight Inflammation- It helps in fighting against inflammation.
Some Of the Super Grains For Healthy You
- Jowar (Sorghum)
- It consists of two most important minerals which are Iron and copper.For the regulation of red blood cells in the body Iron is needed while to absorb the iron, copper plays a vital role.
- Great for Energy level as it has a good amount of niacin(vitamin B3) ,which gives energy throughout the day.
- It acts as prebiotic– Prebiotic foods have non-digestible ingredients and when taken gives a useful environment in the gut for good bacteria.Sorghum includes polyphenols which helps in changing the microbiota that supports intestinal health.The common prebiotic in our diets are forms of dietary fibres because reach the large intestine where the microbiota live. When dietary fibres reach the colon instead of the small intestine they are available for use by the microbiota to enhance good bacteria.
- Excellent for weight loss -Sorghum has much higher application of dietary fiber which helps in satisfying hunger and keeps hunger pangs away for a long time.
- It contains B-vitamins, which help the body build new tissues and cells. Also, potassium and phosphorus. Jowar has some zinc, copper,
- High magnesium levels, Jowar helps maintain calcium levels in the body . Women and children should definitely include it in their diets.
Jowar Dosa….tasty and healthy
2) Finger Millet(Ragi/Nachini)– The super Millet packed with calcium and fibre and many other health benefits as it :
- It protects your heart health.
- Improve the digestive system.
- Lower the risk of cancer.
- Improves respiratory health.
- Detoxify the body and strengthen the immune system.
- Increases energy levels and improves muscle and nerve health.
- Ragi also helps for stronger bones and teeth.
- It helps control blood sugar level.So, it is good for Diabetes and Pre-Diabetics.
- It is high in Iron,Potassium and many micronutrients.
- It has an antioxidant property which is good for anti-ageing too.
- It is Gluten free.
- Great for weight loss. 1 cup contains 10.3g protein and 16g fibre.
Ragi/finger millet Idli and dosa which is made from fermented batter
- It is Pseudo grain that means it’s a seed not grain.
- Because it has a high amount of manganese, amaranth will help to boost mental cognition.
- The phosphorus in amaranth makes it good for bone-health.
- Amaranth is also rich in phenolic acids, a type of antioxidant which protects from many chronic diseases.
- It is gluten free and easy to digest.
- It is rich in Iron, zinc and potassium.
- Half cup of cooked Amaranth gives 5g protein.
Try Gluten free bread and porridge with Amaranth …Guilt free delicacies..
One of the oldest consumed grains in the world. It provides a range of important vitamins and minerals, some of which include: fiber, selenium,B vitamins, copper, chromium, phosphorus, magnesium and niacin.Benefits of eating Barley:
- Improves Digestion: Barley maintains healthy bacteria in the digestive tract and is good for bowel movement.
- High source of Fiber: Barley is mostly insoluble which is a great help to healthy digestion, glucose metabolism and heart health.
- It helps in weight loss journey: It not only makes you feel full for a long time but also restricts from cravings and hunger.
- Helps control sugar level: Thai grain is the best choice for people with diabetes as it slows the release of sugar in the bloodstream.
- Lowers cholesterol level: the fiber in this grain forms a type of acid(propionic) which suppresses those enzymes that produce cholesterol in the liver. Beta Glucan is a matter found in the fibre of barley which holds bile in the digestive tract to cholesterol and helps to take out from the colon to the form of stool and out of the body.
- Maintains Heart Health as it contains Niacin,Thiamine ,selenium, copper and magnesium which all play a good role in decreasing cholesterol.
- Loaded with Antioxidants – This grain provides Lignans which is an antioxidant, helping lowering Chances in cancer and heart diseases.
- High in Vitamins and Minerals: like copper which Supports cognitive development ,helps metabolism and selenium maintains healthy hair and skin.
- 1 cup cooked barley contains 6g fibre and 4g protein.
- Great for kidney detoxification.
Try Barley salad from whole barley and soft Indian Chapati form Barley flour..
- High in Fibre- Oats are high in both types of fiber, soluble, and insoluble fiber, so you get the best of both worlds.
- Micronutrients in oats have vitamin-E which protects the body from damaging free radicals and fights against diseases like cancer, arthritis, atherosclerosis.
- Oats are the healthiest foods, because of slow release energy one can experience filling full for long, can help reduce your cholesterol because of the fibre properties.
- It contains a good amount of magnesium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, folate, copper, vitamin B-1 and B-5.
- Contains good amount of plant based protein with the right amino acid component.
- Oats have a low glycemic index, and high fiber helps manage blood sugar levels. Foods that are digested quickly can increase blood sugar but oats are digested slowly and manage blood sugar. It makes good food for diabetics.
- Soluble fiber-rich oats could be an effective dietary therapy to prevent and treat hypertension.The beta-glucan in oats has good effects on carbohydrate metabolism and blood pressure level and enhances immunity.
- Melatonin produced from amino acids and other nutrients in oats help in sleep.
- 100gm oats= 15gm protein.
Try oats bread, soft chilla ,overnight soaked oats…
It is a Pseudo. A complete protein and highly rich in fibre.
- Buckwheat is made up of a high level of amino acids and powerful vitamins such as manganese, magnesium, copper and the vitamin-B complex. One of the B-complex vitamins contained in buckwheat is folic acid.
- Buckwheat is full of dietary fibre having both soluble and insoluble properties.
- Buckwheat is gluten-free , so it’s an addition to the kitchen for those suffering from gluten allergies and other diseases related.
- Buckwheat is a healthy carbohydrate. Body catches the carbohydrates from this superfood (buckwheat) and gives great energy. It is super food for overall function and excretion.
- It helps in lowering blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Rutin is one component in buckwheat as it works for the function of cardiovascular and glucose components.
- Great for weight loss as it keeps you full for long and doesn’t let your hunger pranks come out.
- Buckwheat has the high level of protein necessary to maintain a healthy diet.
- 1 cup Buckwheat contains 6g protein and 4.5 g fibre.
Try buckwheat soft crepe and salad
- Foxtail millets have the tendency to lower the blood sugar in the body which helps to reduce risk to blockage in the arterial wall and lowers the risk of heart disease.
- As many people can’t resist rice and we all know that rice releases sugar in faster form, we have a great substitute which is equally tasty, that is Foxtail millet which has low glycemic index and it releases sugar slowly in the blood. This millet has a good amount of vitamins, minerals and great amino acids. All these properties make it good for diabetic food.
- Foxtail Millet has a good amount of antioxidants and the special one is Tryptophan which fights against the damage free radicals and reduces oxidative stress.
- It is Gluten Free which makes it another good substitute.
- Foxtail Millet has a good amount of calcium and contains Vitamin-D too which is good for bones, especially for children and adults.
- As Foxtail Millets have Iron compositions, it is great for the development of the brain as it supplies the required amount of oxygen to the brain.
- It is good for restless leg syndrome because of the Iron content found in this millet.
- Foxtail Millet is very good for skin because of the amino acids present in it, especially methionine and lysine which helps in collagen formation and slows wrinkles.
Try Foxtail millet upma and fermented batter idli
- Pearl Millet has good omega-3 fats which helps in lowering blood pressure and triglycerides. It helps in good heart health.
- Pearl Millet has a good amount of Iron and Phosphorus wherein Iron helps for cognitive function and energy.
- Good to shed some weight as it has got complex carbohydrates which take time to digest and keep hunger pangs away for good time and give energy.
- Good for digestion and great for bowel movement.
- Good news is that it is also gluten free, so we have one more added to the list of gluten free food.
- Beneficial for heart health as it has omega-3 fats, magnesium , potassium ,fibre and other minerals that helps in reducing blood pressure and is good for the heart.
- Superb for Diabetes because it slows glucose absorption into the bloodstream.
- It is high in antioxidants, which helps in removing free radicals.Good to remove toxins and other substances attacking the body and purifies as its component wipes out some activated enzymes in particular organs..
Try bajra rotla and crackers …very filling and delicious ..
All the Grains have great properties but need to be consumed in a balanced way as you need to give time to your system while introducing anything new. Go for small quantities and if in any case your are not comfortable consuming any of the discussed Grain, avoid it.
Love yourself and see the magic.
2 thoughts on “Magic of Whole Grains..@Superfood..Healthy Living”
Very informative article.